Thursday, July 10, 2008

A refreshing swim

Up at 4:45 AM today. Core work then off to the city pool.

I like swimming at the city pool, it is an interesting sociological study. First, there is a rush to get a lane. The queue starts forming at the door 15 minutes before it opens. Once the door is unlocked it is a race to the lanes. The pool is quite large but the Masters program takes up 4 or more lanes so the non-masters juggle for spots in the 4-5 that remain. I think I am getting a sense of the regulars. There are triathletes, some real swimmers, some with interesting "swim" strokes (emphasis on the quotation marks), and then a sizeable seniors crowd. Almost always I am next to or share a lane with one of "swim" stroke women. I try desperately to avoid the sidestroke guy who kicks me in the ribs every time we pass. There is another guy who is a senior citizen who swims two strokes and stands to breathe, swims two strokes and stands, and so on. I give him creds though, if I had to guess I would say he is a healthy, and rather tan looking octogenarian.

I completed 3,000 meters today which went fairly well but was a bit tiring. I shared the lane with an IMer, and I don't mean Ironman. Let's just say her butterfly created some serious waves.

Tomorrow, I am taking the day off from work. I am going to ride to my bike shop for some repairs. It should total something close to 80 miles then I have to cap it off with a 30 minute run--trust me that there will not be any 7 minute mile performance.