Thursday, July 03, 2008

Killa hilla

Up at 5:15 AM today, usual core work.

I had a plan and a "if I chicken out backup plan". The plan was to ride hill repeats in the neighborhood, the backup was to get on the trainer for 45 minutes. I did the hill repeats. There are great hills in the hood but my concern was the traffic I would share them with. It is a major bus route and with cars parked on both sides not much room to squeeze much else in. As it turns out, my timing was perfect. I did not have to share any of the uphills with the buses.

I rode up one hill 5 or more consecutive times, then I would recover on a flatter descent. I decided to mix it up by climbing a different hill by my house that has a steeper grade. I think I did that 4 or more times, I really was not counting. I kept looking at my max heart rate which was good but I know I can get it higher.

Rode to work. A beautiful day with a bit of a breeze down by the river. Unusual for the summer but it felt glorious. Tomorrow, switching the long Saturday ride to Friday.