Saturday, July 12, 2008

Gone are the days

In days of yore, I used to look forward to my long runs. I would be out 2, 3 or more hours sightseeing at my running pace. Now, I struggle mentally to stay in it for an hour--and with longer runs ahead I have got to figure out how to move beyond the mental complaining. Sure I am uncomfortable, sure it is hot--there is a whole list of things one could complain about but it just makes the run longer.

Last week I started to break my run down into 20 minute segments. That helped some but what I want back--what maybe didn't even exist ever--were the pain free, long, enjoyable runs. Enough of the dread.

Good pace today, again operating under the theory that I need to make something other than my current injuries hurt. Back to physical therapy Monday, not soon enough. I was definitely feeling the effects of my ride. Next week I am heading to Lake Placid to watch the Ironman (and hopefully, sign up for 2009) and while there I am hoping to talk to the owner of Elite Bikes to see if there is some tweaking he can do to make this piriformis mess go away.

Tomorrow, a mess. Friday should have been my day off but I have company this weekend. I'll either take tomorrow off or possibly do my Monday swim. I can't decide.