Saturday, June 21, 2008

Short on sleep

We were invited to friends for a delightful barbecue last evening resulting in a post-midnight bedtime. We checked the weather to see whether we had the flexibility to do the long ride on Sunday-no such luck. Sunday they are predicting a 60-70% chance of rain all day.

The animal kingdom awoke us at around 6 AM. That hurt a little. We loaded the bikes and headed to Quantico for a ride. The day was sunny, a tiny bit humid but pretty tolerable. I was anxious to road test my speed play pedals.

The ride was great. Unfortunately, JB was suffering a bit so we brought her back to the car early and I did some hills in the park to get up to my minimum 40 miles. I think between the lack of sleep and too light a breakfast JB's tank came up empty.

I loved the speedplay pedals. I have to admit it felt completely different to climb--almost too much float in the pedals. That being said, I think if my pedals were the problem the speedplay is the answer. They really allow your foot to move naturally.

Tomorrow, a long run.