Saturday, September 22, 2007

Reporta de Cancun 70.3, Tengo una problema

Yesterday was registration day. I went up to the registration booths and my name was not listed......at all. A slight increase in heart rate. We raced to the business center and got online ***BTW keyboards are not international. Several pesos later I had a printout of my registration in hand and returned to the registration booths. I am listed as Towne Liz, probably pilot error on registration given my limited Spanish skills. All is good, I have my packet and am official albeit I was plotting how to participate without race numbers.

Today the weather is hurricane.esque **I repeat keyboards are not international. It is raining heavily, it is very windy and visibility is poor. I was going to swim the race course this morning but the roads are flooded and even if we were able to overcome the obstacle of traversing 6 miles through 1 to 2 feet of water and downed trees we were unsure the course would be open. The swim is a scratch on the day, next we will go to the mandatory meeting and then later dropoff the bikes. The logistics on the dropoff remain the same--flooded roads, tiny bike tires, misery.

I am hopeful that the forecast holds for tomorrow but doubts linger. It will rain all day today with fairly stiff winds and a rough sea. Tomorrow it will be cloudy at race start, partly cloudy by 9 am, then raining by noon. It will be critical to be off the bike before it rains given the fact that their is little to no runoff for rainwater that collects on the road. As for temperature, there will be no repeat of last year's 125 degree heat index. At the warmest the air is supposed to feel like 78 degrees.

A little nervous about the swim, could be rough seas but there is a great potential for a PR and that is what I am hoping for.