Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Today's Workout: The spoils of technology

Up at 5 AM today. Given the fact that I'm supposed to be on the road and already completed today's scheduled bike workout all I had on my plate was a 40 minute run.

Abs then out the door for my run. The workout called for 6 x 4 minutes at zone 2 and 6 x 1 minute in zone 4. No matter what I did I could not get my heart rate monitor (HRM) to work. Frustrating to be sure. After 15 minutes it finally started recording some data. The thing is so tempermental--it won't work in cold weather, it won't work if I used it on the bike and then proceed to go out for a run, it works when it wants to. I need the data. Don't you think I'd look a little funny taking my carotid pulse while running? When I finally did get data today I was deep in zone 3 and could not take it back.....well, maybe I could have if I laid down on the side of the road. Zone 4 was no trouble.

Tomorrow, back in the pool with the Masters. One final swim before they shut the pool down for a week. Looks like I will be swimming with the Seniors next week.