Thursday, May 31, 2007

Today's Workout: Aha!

Up at 4:30 AM today with a scramble to feed the animal kingdom. Abs then off to the pool for my Master's swim class.

With my plantar fascia bothering me so much (especially now when I first get out of bed) I only used my fins for kicking today. Even that amount of fin use was bothersome. The class swam 3300 meters today but I had some teaching moments with the coach to work on spotting and breathing. My end total was 3000. If I had more time I would have stayed but work we must.

I was talking to our coach about my breathing. I've been told (and I do know this to be true) that I hum when I breathe. Today I was experimenting with breathing and not humming. I don't know how the humming started. Maybe that was how I learned to breathe while swimming, maybe it is a cathartic mechanism--not sure. As I was experimenting today I noted that when I don't hum I'm not aerobically tired. I was mentioning this to our coach. She has a very different take on breathing, unlike everything any other class or coach teaches you. She says you should exhale and inhale out of the water whereas everyone else teaches you to only inhale out of the water and to start exhaling the minute you turn your head back in the water.

I tried my coach's way for about 500 meters. Interestingly, I felt like I could have swum all day. Really, all day. I may be on to something here but further testing is necessary. To that end (I can't believe I am saying this) I look forward to Saturday's swim even though Saturday is a trifecta day.

Tomorrow, an hour on the bike perhaps with a ride to work.