Saturday, May 26, 2007

Today's Workout: No Gas

I was scheduled for a 3.5 hour bike and 30 minute run today, fairly light in comparison to most workouts.

I was out of bed at 4:15 and on the road by 5 AM. I met my biking partner and her friend who is also doing Lake Placid. We were clicked into our pedals by 7 AM. The first 5 miles of our ride is uphill, followed by a small down grade and then about 3 more miles uphill. I think I lost sight of my biking partners by mile 2. Did I mention that they are older and obviously in better shape than me.

Not sure why, but the hills were a complete struggle for me today. I tried to keep my cadence up but I felt like I was making no progress and I had no more lower gears. It didn't help that when I shifted to a higher gear to stand a climb a little, a small reprieve for my buttocks, that my bike kept deciding to shift. I'll have to get it into the shop to get that fixed ASAP.

As for nutrition, I tucked some salt tablets in my pocket and they melted before mile 3--it was super hot and steamy today. I'll take better care of them next time. I also need to find a way to tuck other food in my bento box. I'm so sick of what I'm carrying that half-way through I just stop eating.

Some days you have it, some days you do not. Today I had no gas going uphill but I was enjoying the downhill a little bit....that is until I entered a section that had just been milled. Who mills a beautiful road that in my view does not need repaving? I'm hoping this gets resolved before next week.

Tomorrow, a 90 minute run and an unscheduled ride with JB on the Irongirl course. She is set to race there in August and wants to know what she has signed up for.