Sunday, May 27, 2007

Today's Workout: I didn't shed blood

I had a 90 minute run on the agenda for today. I knew the three H's were in order (hazy, hot, and humid) so I was on the road by 7 AM. I ran through Old Town Alexandria but couldn't quite remember what route would take me 90 minutes so I made it up as I went along.

My legs were rather slow initially, still recovering from yesterday's bike. Eventually they picked up and I had a good run on a very beautiful morning.

When I got home, JB and I headed out to Columbia, MD. She signed up for the Irongirl in August, a hefty sprint triathlon, and we were going out to ride the course. We rode about 10 miles of the 17 mile course and my legs were grateful we went no further. First, JB took one of those slow spills to the right when on an uphill her chain came off and she could not click out. We have all had them. You think you can stop yourself because you are going slow but you can't. She has a little raspberry on her knee. See, it wasn't me who shed blood this time.

The course has some really nice rolling hills but there is very little shoulder room to work with and the traffic was very heavy. I have never ridden in such horrible traffic. My work commutes may have a lot of cars but none are moving that fast. In the country there were a fair amount of cars all apparently unconcerned with fuel economy.

Speaking of fuel economy, after we drove the course the gas light in the car came on. I have no idea where people in Columbia, MD get gas. We followed no less than three different gas signs that lead to nowhere. With fumes to spare we finally headed south on 95 and found gas when we approached civilization.

Tomorrow: usually a day off but I'm going to swim on Monday. I prefer to sleep in on a work day, it feels like a bonus.