Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Too confident

I rembember the anxiety of my first Ironman. Until I crossed the finish line I was not convinced that I could do it. Now I worry I am too confident. Here I sit, T minus 5 days and I am not worried at all. Those who know me will find this hard to believe. Look up angst in the dictionary, there is a picture of me.

Am I fooling myself? Will the angst hit me like a truck on Saturday? I'm really not sure. I am visualizing myself throughout each part of the race and finding it unusual that worry is not part of that visualization process. 2.4 mile swim--I've been swimming that distance a few times a week for several months. Getting popped in the face a few times, been there, done that. 112 mile bike--I have a lot of bike miles logged, including a few centuries. I am also much more comfortable on the downhill and, despite spending less time climbing at Skyline Drive this year, I eat hills and know how to make it hurt. 26.2 mile run--okay, maybe I am a little worried about the run but I so love to run that it is the dessert in my race. It may take some time, but I see myself finishing it.

No matter what lies ahead in the next few days, I'm not missing the angst. Instead, I'm enjoying the confidence. A girl could get used to it.