Friday, July 17, 2009

I sure hope this plan comes together

Almost a year ago, I was up watching friends compete in the LP Ironman. The very next morning I left our place at 5 am to queue in a line for one of the 2,500 slots for this year. I was at least a mile back in the line and very concerned I would miss out. The guys in the front had been there since the night before. A race entry to LP is a coveted spot, very difficult to acquire. I remember breathing a sigh of relief when I secured a number in the 2,300s. And so, entry in hand, the training for Ironman LP 2009 started on that day.

Nearly a year later, the training plan was fully executed. The only blip, a big one, IT Band problems in my left knee right before I made it to the taper. Mind you I was having a stellar running year setting a PR in a hilly half marathon, laying down track work that had me feeling incredibly strong, reclaiming a 7 minute mile. So plans change and that is a big part of the Ironman. What do you do when things go wrong.

My hope is that the very painful PT I have put myself through over the last three weeks, the running layoff, the boring hours on the stairmaster will all come together on race day. In 2007 my plan was to focus on finishing the swim, to complete the bike safely and especially be cautious on the descent in the second loop when your mind is not as sharp, and to just survive the run.

Despite the IT problems my plan this go around include being strong in the swim--while in 2007 I was not sure I could make the distance not only do I know I can but I know I can do it with strength (not to be interpreted as speed). My goal, get out of the water as close to 1 hour and 23 minutes as I can depending on how much I get hit. I want to complete the bike in 7 hours and 15 minutes improving my cautious 2007 time of 7:45. I want to hit the run, pull my cap down like Tiger and just focus on one mile at a time. Surely if I've endured the boring treadmill I can endure the long backbreaker portion of the run known as River Road..twice. If I see something less then 14 hours on the clock when I run into the Olympic oval I will not believe it, if I see 14 and change I will be stoked, if I see 15 or more I will just be pleased to finish. Of course, as my riding partner notes, if I don't make my time goal I'll just have to sign up for another Ironman. Sorry, JB.

So here is hoping the amended plan withstands the physical beating I will measure it against and most importantly that my mental game is on.