Friday, July 06, 2007

Today's Workout: Fat Lip Flashback

Last night, as I was trying to settle into bed, I went to move Della off of our bed on to her own bed. She tries to convince you that she should get part of the King real estate. Della is 8 and as she ages she gets grumpier and grumpier when she is tired. As I went to gently pick her up she began her usual curly lip growl and for whatever reason she swung her head around and hit me right in the lips. Two places I hate getting hit (and yet another reason why I don't get boxing) the nose and lips. Pain factor-kind of high, blood loss-low, swelling-very noticeable.

My lip is swollen and bruised despite an hour and a half of ice, my two teeth kind of hurt a little too. It reminded me of 10th grade when Wendy Daniels and I were playing catch as we warmed up for a JV softball game. I was distracted and Wendy threw the ball hitting me square in the lips. Back then I had braces so there was a little bit more blood but same bruised and swollen result. Do you think anyone will believe how this happened--I have my doubts.

Up at 4:50 AM despite my best efforts to make it to the 5 AM alarm. Buddy and Della were restless and neither of them is good at keeping that info to themselves. Abs then on my trainer for 45 minutes of biking. I have the new Spinerval Lake Placid DVD that has Troy Jacobson out riding the course. I thought I would refamiliarize myself with the course, work on some high cadence, and then finish with one legged drills.

I rode into work today to finish off my ride. Don't tell anyone but the humidity is not on. Tomorrow, should be a 3 hour bike and 45 minute swim (gotta love the taper). Waiting to hear from KR. I'll finish the day off with a massage. Not a bad way to celebrate my 45th birthday.