Sunday, July 01, 2007

Today's Workout: Skyland or Bust

Up at 3:50 AM, yes, ridiculous. Out the door by 4:40 AM on the way with my riding partner KR to Skyline Drive. We had a 6 hour bike ride and 45 minute run on the agenda.

KR set her sites on Skyland, at mile marker 42. Skyland is the highest point on Skyline Drive, let me repeat--the highest point. Sadly, we did not have a camera to document our accomplishment. A key highlight: it was a cold morning and I told KR I wanted to wear my arm warmers. She said I had to toughen up and to put them back in my bag. The uphill was fine, going downhill sleeveless we were freezing. At mile 25 we were so cold our teeth were uncontrollably chattering. Nonetheless, onward we went to Skyland. Once there, we had the genius idea of buying a Shendandoah National Park t-shirt to warm us on the return. While we don't have a snapshot of our achievement today we at least have t-shirts.

I had a bifurcated run--20 minutes at Skyline Dr followed by 25 minutes once I got home at 5:20PM. It's been a long day. I've taken my recover-ese and will definitely be taking a dip in the spa this evening.....if I can remain awake.