Saturday, July 14, 2007

Today's Workout: Caution or the work around

Up at 4:39 AM today, thank you Buddy. I thought I set the alarm for 5 AM. Off to ride for two hours with KR then a 30 minute run. We laughed that this was such a light day but others might find 2.5 hours burdensome.

Despite my better judgment I did make a tweak to my bike last night that paid off today. Suffice it to say that my saddle was a bit uncomfortable. One minor adjustment on angle and bye-bye discomfort.

After the bike and run, JB and I headed to Leesburg to my bike guy Tom Stokes. I was having three problems: my neck has been killing me in aero, my field of vision is limited to 10-15 feet in front of me, and my arm tends to slip off my pads when I am tired. Tom and I talked about the options and decided on adding new aero bars. A week out of my big race I did not want to do something so drastic but I also could not imagine riding 112 miles with these limitations.

Now I must ride as much as possible to get accustomed to these new aero bars. They are set wider then my others to accommodate my broad shoulders. It's a gamble for sure. Normally I would be too cautious for such a move so late in the game but again, this is a very long race and I must maximize my level of comfort and safety.

I ended the day with a chiro adjustment. The hips are still in alignment, everything is moving pretty well. All good news. Tomorrow, a 75 minute run and 45 minute swim.