Saturday, May 12, 2007

Today's Workout: In Great Company

Last night, very late, I sent an email to a woman my coach referred me to for cycling at Skyline Drive. She called me immediately and agreed to meet me at 6:30 AM this morning at Shenandoah National Park. I was a little worried she would be too fast for me and more my coach's age then my own.

KR pulled up behind me within minutes of my arrival. I was pleased that we were the same age groupers. More importantly, after confessing my fear and inability on the downhill she coached and encouraged me to explore the speed and lay off the brakes. My spedometer hit in excess of 30 mph. We were completely compatible going uphill and she would wait for me a bit on the deep descents. I had a fantastic time and enjoyed the company immensely, it made the 4 hour ride fly. Mission accomplished. 50 miles, 3,000 feet of climbing.

After our ride I ran 40 minutes. A struggle at first but eventually I hit my groove. I was so happy to be heading home by noon. The 4 AM wake up call and 5 AM departure from the house were completely worth it. K and I ran into very little traffic and what better way to bring in the morning then to find the depth of your aerobic capacity.

Tomorrow, a long swim and hopefully a little bike--first though, I must go support JB in a local tri. Woot, woot--go team.