Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Today's Workout: Can you say bonk

Up at 4 AM. Rudely awakened by my alarm clock after a horrible night's sleep thanks to a 2 AM sneezing fit. I think I could have slept until noon.

Abs then on the bike for 75 minutes. It started out kind of easy but ended with a killer set. 15 minute warmup. 10 x 1 minute one legged drills (you know I love these), 20 minutes time trial in zone 3. This is where I say thank goodness I have good music. The brutal finale: 10 x 1 minute zone 4 with a cadence of 80 followed by a two minute easy spin. Your heart really shouldn't pump that fast before the sun comes up.

A switch in clothes and then out the door for a 45 minute run. Bonk, total bonk. Not sure what happened, I guess I may need to add some more calories on the bike. It took a bit to get into zone 3 and there I stayed. I was supposed to fluctuate between my Ironman pace--presumably slower zone 3--and my 10k pace (ie. shorter and faster but a high zone 3). I'd say the latter part of the run was at my 10k pace but I had real trouble moving my legs. First what I did eat and drink on the bike was not sitting well with my stomach when I went from aero to vertical. Thereafter, I think I just was suffering from lack of sleep and the need for some energy boost, say a delicious powerbar gel pack. Mmmmmmm.

Tomorrow, back to the pool with the Master's team.