Sunday, May 06, 2007

Today's Workout: Z swim, Z swim

It is with dread that I go to the pool, no matter the day, the weather, or how I am feeling. I am not a swimmer. I am a land animal that learned to swim merely to bike and run.

Longish swim today but certainly no 2.4 miles. 300 warmup, 8 x 50 drill and then the final set (she says final as if it were brief) 3 x 800. 800 incidentally is a half-mile, try this with 60 seconds rest between sets. 100 warm down capped the day for a total of 3200 meters. For anyone keeping track, that is a mere 800 meters short of the 2.4 miles. Not bad, not bad.

To be honest, I felt like I moved very well in the water today and I felt that I could have done more when I finished. These two feelings rarely combine. Everything felt good except that I have these new goggles that feel like they are pressing into my sinus cavity. I wear one type of goggles and have for several years but I didn't notice several months ago when I reorderd my stock that they gave me the wrong kind. Mama, the pain made me move today.

Off to get a deep tissue massage to work on my 4 problem points: 1. The left piriformis (this is a branched muscle tucked back in with your glute). The chiro thinks I may have tore it but because it is only a problem in the first 20 miles on the bike, onward I go. 2. The left hip flexor and another muscle near the iliotibial band at the hip. Perhaps it is the tensor fascia latae which sounds like a coffee drink. Again, bothersome on the bike only. 3. The sartorius just above the inner knee still left leg. And 4. what appears to be a recurrance of plantar fascitis in my right foot. Everyone at Lake Placid will lineup with one or more problems, I'm just working with my chiro and massage therapist to ensure I can get there even if this list gets longer.

Tomorrow, rest, rest, rest oh ye weary body.