Sunday, May 13, 2007

Today's Workout: I think I have a medical emergency

Let me lead by saying everything is fine now that I have my stitches. Uh, yeah.

The day started at 4 AM as I was set to help JB in the Virginia Run Sprint Triathlon. This is my coach's race so I also volunteered. I was everywhere but I started at the bike inspection--you would be surprised how many people don't reconnect their brakes before a race. JB did a fantastic job crossing the finish line within her goal time. And while she says she has no interest in an Ironman, we shall see.

Afterwards I came home to take a little nap, being out in the early morning air and not competing took a lot out of me. I later headed to the pool for a 3300 meter workout which included two 1200 meter sets....I hated that.

Post swim I came home to breakdown my bike into 100 parts to take on the plane with me to FL on Friday. T-minus 6 days until the Florida Half-Ironman. This is where the theme of today's entry comes in. I decided to transfer my gu container from my old bike to my new bike. While I try to avoid stripping parts off my old bike for my new bike--bad karma--here come the stitches. I was cutting two tiny zip ties with a knife, you see where this is leading, right. Yep, knife enters left forearm--I had to pull it out. I immediately applied pressure more because I knew it was a bleeder then for a medical reason. I came upstairs. JB was outside having a siesta, including a Margarita. I calmly said, "JB I think I have a medical emergency".

Four hours later, I have a couple stitches and a new tetanus booster. A few observations from those 4 hours. No one looked sick in the Urgent Care....no one. Blood doesn't pay forward on the list. The only way I would have moved is if I damaged nerves and that move would be to the ER where I'm sure I would still be sitting. The doctor shouldn't really show squeamish patients the muscle that they just cut in their arm.

The good news, the doctor thinks I could get the stitches out and still compete next Sunday even though I did cut into the muscle--I cut with the grain. Right now the muscle in my arm is quite painful, even to just move my fingers (how about these one-handed typing skills). My right arm is a bit sore from the shot. My bike is only half-packed. I cannot swim at all this week--of this I am least sad. Stay tuned, we will see where this road leads.