Saturday, April 28, 2007

Today's Workout

Ok, remember it is a recovery week--I call today's workout trifecta light.

Up at 6AM and off to River Road in Potomac MD for 90 minutes of hills. It was nice and peaceful out there today, the traffic was not too bad, lots of cyclists. I had made a little adjustment to my handlebars which seems to have eased my neck pain in the aero position. Last year in one of my trips where I had to take my bike apart and rebuild it at the race site my handlebars dropped and I found that to be a very comfortable riding position. So last night, when I was switching out to my hill gearing, I dropped my handlebars. Huge difference.

Immediately off of the bike I ran for 30 minutes through these neighborhoods with mansions. Seriously. All of the homes were gated and the landscapers all stared at me as if they had never seen anyone jogging in the neighborhood. I'm certain that many of the homes had more square footage then my 1st-8th grade school. I wish I were kidding. Its unfathomable what people do with all of that space.

Back home I tried to warm up and mentally prepare to head to Chinquappin, a very cold neighborhood pool. My regular pool has classes until 12:30PM but with the short recovery workout I was done biking and running by 10AM. The pool was cold and crowded. I was very tired but managed to make it through my workout cursing at every turn. 300 warm-up, 2 x 100 drill, 8 x 50 using 3-2 breathing, and then the killer 1,000. I finished with a 100 warm down. Today's grant total: 2,000 meters. Could I have gone another 2,000 meters--NO!!!! And that is probably why the swim always comes first in triathlon events.

Tomorrow, 53 miles of riding with the men and women from our Armed Services.