Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Today's Workout

Somebody bring me my jammies and a pillow. Up at 4 AM, even the animals were grumpy over that.

Abs then on the bike for 70 minutes. 15 minute warmup, then we get to the tofu (I'd say meat but I'm a veggie). 5 x 1 minute at a cadence of 80 high zone 2 with one minute easy spin in between. The difficulty: keeping in zone 2. 5 x 1 minute at a cadence of 90, zone 3 with one minute easy spin in between. 5 x 1 minute at a cadence above 90, zone 4--yes, 4 with 2 minutes of easy spin. Small problem here. I didn't have my glasses on so I read a one minute recovery between each set and I kept thinking how cruel to make me suffer so much. Little did I know, I created my own suffering. 10 x 30 seconds at a cadence above 100 with 30 seconds rest in between. I believe that was supposed to be zone 3 but there was no chance on that, I broke through to 4. The warm down was a 10 minute spin at a cadence of 90 but having shorted myself on the two minutes of rest from the zone 4 set I had to spin that out to 15 minutes.

After a quick change into dry clothes, I went out for a 45 minute run. I had crappy data from my heart rate monitor today likely due to the cooler air (42 degrees....again, it is still April). 10 minute warm up and 3 x 8 minutes in low zone 3 with a 2 minute zone 4--yes, 4. This was followed by a 5 minute cool down. Did I get to zone 4? Not sure, my heart rate monitor was registering a heart rate of 68 while I was running. If that were true, you probably would want to call 911. Darn this cold weather.

Tomorrow, back to the pool with the Master's program.