Thursday, April 26, 2007

Today's Workout

Up at 4:30. No head-butting today, instead Buddy kept artfully putting his tail in my nostril. I'm taking lessons from his subtlety.

I swam with the Masters today and what a workout. 300 choice stroke to start so I mixed in freestyle and a little backstroke. 200 one armed paddle pulls--there is a reason people don't swim with one arm. 10 x 50 sprints with 10 seconds rest. Trust me when I say that we were being yelled at by the coach from the deck because we were not moving fast enough. 500 fly kick with fins, down on the side and returning on our back. Yes, there was a leg burn. 500 paddle pull, more burn just in the arms. 500 back kick with fins, 3 x 25 easy and the 4th turn on the motor boat speed.

This was a really good workout today. I received a little coaching on my kick which did seem to make me a wee bit faster when I made the requested adjustment. Looking forward to working on this more.

Tomorrow is supposed to be my second off day in this recovery week but instead I am going to do Sunday's one hour run. On Sunday I am volunteering at the 2007 Face of America Bike Ride http://www.worldteamsports.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=221148. The ride is for the men and women who were disabled in the Iraq and Afghanistan war--about 50 of them are biking from Gettysburg, PA to DC and I'm just riding along to help. I'm doing it to support the disabled athletes and to honor my own family members who have or are serving in Iraq. A shout out to the men and women in uniform.