Thursday, February 14, 2008

When plans change

Up at 4:30 AM. Abs, pushups then off to the gym. Usually Thursday is our evening Masters swim class but JB is down and out for the count with a sprained ankle and I am not sure I can make that late night drive without falling asleep. Thus, I swam this morning. I have a cold coming on and I thought seriously about staying home this morning but the swim (ie. flushing of the sinuses) was very helpful to my cause.

I was using my massager on my foot last night and sadly, the painful spots in my heel are still there. An entire month without running for no gain. What's more, I should in theory be able to run in about 10 days but I just don't feel that my foot is ready. True, the doctor said it would be 3 months before I had a full recovery but don't you think I should feel some difference? Sigh.

Nonetheless, I continue to get ready to re-enter the running world. I had my feet scanned and I ordered new orthotics. Oddly they found that I over pronate badly on my left (the good foot) and I supinate on the right (the bad foot). "Normal people" (these are the doctor's terms) would be consistent on both sides. I said I prefer to be abnormal, it's a more distinguishing character. I also ordered my first pair of Newton Running Shoes (aka the Ferragamo's of running shoes) in the hopes that greater forefoot running alleviates my problems. The doctor recommended these shoes that have a giant spring in the heel (ie. they look like carnival shoes) but I prefer a more "normal" appearance.

Tomorrow is a rest day but we shall see. I'm short a weight room visit and I would hate to take that into the weekend.