Saturday, June 23, 2007

Today's Workout: Nice and easy

Up at 6 am. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No 4 am wakeup call for Skyline Drive today but that will return next weekend.

I'm doing a local Olympic distance race tomorrow directed by my coach. I figured this being a recovery week, no harm done to participate and as you know I need all of the open water time that I can get. JB and I headed to Prince William Forest Park this morning. The park boasts a 7 mile loop with a few rollers. We each did three loops of that and then I ran for 20 minutes. Just trying to wakeup the legs and remind them that despite the slow cadence on the hills of Skyline Drive normal terrain requires some quick spinning.

We stopped and picked up my race packet and I dipped my feet in the water. I think I'm going with my shorty wet suit tomorrow. Not sure what the temperature of the water is but it was not exactly warm.

As for race predictions, if I come out of the water in a decent time I will be looking to beat my personal best time at this distance which is 2:58 set at the Gay Games in Chicago last July. While I build my speed on the ground I can also sandbag ground speed by swimming too wide. Last year on this course I had difficulty seeing the buoys thus I was adding mileage in the water. When I was picking up my packet I saw my coach inflating these gi-normous buoys. If I miss those I'm in serious trouble.