Saturday, June 09, 2007

Today's Workout: Momma said there'd be days like this

I had to take my bike out to Leesburg to get a little work done on it this morning so I thought I would do my 90 minute ride and 45 minute run out on the W&OD. This is a trail that years ago we trained on in preparation for the Philadelphia-DC AIDS Ride. Apparently, I have a revisionist memory of how useful it was.

The trail is incredibly narrow and full of ruts. It was nearly impossible to get in the aero position. JB rode with me but aside from the company, the ride was disappointing. It was crowded and not meant for a tri-bike.

After the ride I turned around and ran on the trail. That was not horrible. There was an up-grade going out but a nice downhill grade on the return. It was also shady but with today's soothing temperatures that was an unnecessary benefit. My foot felt crappy on the way out and my legs were moving slow. Junk miles all around today, no real training gains.

Tom, my bike guy, made a few adjustments to my bike and we headed back to our comfort zone-home. I am cozying up to an icepack and some anti-inflammatories to try and restore my foot for a half-marathon tomorrow. I am running the leg of a half-ironman for a friend and cheering on my bike training partner KR and others. Early wakeup call then a rush to the airport for work travel.