Monday, April 09, 2007

Spring's Obstacles

What do you do when it's April and the weather outside is frightful? You get on your trainer inside the house. My vantage point is our sun porch adorned with entirely too many plants. Very tropical. With so many windows, I pretend I am outside only the view never changes, ever.

Let's hope spring returns. It is not in the extended forecast and I worry it may never be here. How on earth do I prepare for the hills of the Adirondacks from my sun porch? The effort is definitely there. I know it is hard for people to imagine training intensively for hours on a bike without moving at all but trust me it is of a higher quality than the time I spend outdoors. I'll also be prepared for a cat running between my tire and pedals (Buddy seems to think he is faster then he really is). You never know when the ability to go from a cadence of 100 to 0 will come in handy during a race--substitute cat for a dropped bike bottle from the rider ahead of me, been there, done that. As for dealing with the wind, working on balance, and getting intimately familiar with my gears I can only hope the snow stops falling and the temperature starts rising. This spring's obstacle course is just dreary.