Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Today's Workout

The theme: "Oh Momma".

Up at 4:15 AM, that kind of hurt. Abs, per the usual. On the bike for a 60 minute spin. If I have to wear my glasses to read the workout I'm about to enter a place of pain. 10 minute warmup. 5 x 1 minute high zone 2 at a cadence of 90 with a 2 minute easy spin. See how easy this starts, the greatest difficulty was keeping in zone 2. 2 x the following: 5 min zone 3 cadence of 80, 4 minutes zone 3 cadence of 85, 3 minutes zone 3 cadence of 90, 2 minutes zone 3 cadence of 95, 1 minute zone 4--do you see this, zone 4-- cadence of 100. Each set had 1 minute of easy spinning in between. The greatest difficulty was twofold: 1) by the time I got to the 3 minute set my legs were complaining and 2) zone 4 was a killer. There was pain in my legs and real discomfort in breathing and heart rate. Don't try this at home.

I followed up the bike with a 40 minute run. For some reason 35 degrees seemed warm today--so sad. 10 minute warmup followed by 6 x 3 minutes in zone 2, then 2 minutes in zone 4. Yes, we are skipping a zone. I can only imagine this is akin to taking your heart from flatline to normal sinus rhythm. Momma that hurt. I'm old, a gal my age shouldn't even be thinking about zone 4. I could hear my legs saying, "You want us to do what?"

En la manana, a swim with the Masters team. I'm told we are swimming in t-shirts again.