Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Today's Workout

Up and at 'em at 4:30 AM. Didn't need the alarm, we had a nice thunder and lightening storm happening. It was purty but upsetting to one out of three members of the animal kingdom.

Abs, the usual. On the bike for 45 minutes. 10 minute warmup, 10 x 1 minute one-legged drills (yummy), 5 x 4 minute at a cadence of 90 in zone 3, 1 minute easy spin. Interestingly, I'm finding that I need to use a higher gear to get in zone 3. I'm no scientist (emphasis added) but I think this must mean my fitness is increasing.

Out on a 30 minute run with a bit of drizzle. Actually, as I was leaving I thought I heard the dogs drinking loudly from their bowl when in fact it was a downpour hitting the slate shingled roof. 10 minute warmup and then the nasty. 5 x 2 minutes zone 2, 1 minute zone 3, 1 minute zone 4--yes, 4. I definitely had three speeds going on, whether I hit zone 4 is unclear. My heart rate monitor never moved off of 70. Me thinks it more likely that equipment failure is to blame vs. the fact that I can maintain such a low heart rate with an increased output.

What's up tomorrow? If it's Thursday it must mean that I swim with the Masters program. Time will fly.