Saturday, March 31, 2007

Today's Workout

The trifecta. I started at the gym at 7 AM with an edurance swim. 300 warmup. 500 (50 drill, 50 swim). 1,000 swim. 600 (100 kick, 100 swim). 50 warm down. Grand total: 2,450 meters. Not a bad swim today, not exactly enjoyable but also not too tortuous.

Out on my bike. Today I rode with the guy who convinced me to do Lake Placid, my friend and fellow triathlete Rob and his friend Chris, a cyclist. We rode out near Great Falls which has rolling hills and a fair amount of traffic but traffic that is accustomed to sharing the rode with cyclists. This ended up being a quality over quantity workout. I was supposed to ride 3 hours but we finished in 2 hours 15 minutes. We turned around early because the traffic was heavy and traveling at a higher speed then we liked. We went up and down the park entrance at Great Falls a couple of times to practice hills. I liked this but it showed me how far away I am from Lake Placid. Total cardio burner.

The boys are a lot faster than I am. I usually ride at 18 mph and I was trailing them all day at 20 mph. They had to constantly stop to wait for me which I appreciated but I'm sure was rather annoying to them. When you ride with others you want to ride with someone who is just a little faster than you. For my part, they completely fit the bill and I appreciated their patience with my turtle speed.

When I got home I headed out for a 30 minute run. My gluteus maximus was killing me from the ride and I felt like I was floating all over the road. It would not have made for a good video but nonetheless I completed it.

What's up tomorrow? A 100 minute run and hopefully a 2 hour ride with another triathlete, Michele, who is also much faster than I am. We both raced at Cancun last year and trust me, I was chasing her from behind.