Saturday, April 07, 2007

Today's Workout

I was supposed to be in upstate NY this weekend and I was looking forward to riding the hills in the country. That didn't work out for reasons that I will not go into, nonetheless I woke up to snow here this morning--goodness knows what it looks like in the north country.

Up at 6:15 AM and off to the gym for a 45 minute swim. 200 swim, 200 kick to warmup. 300 (50 drill, 50 swim). 1,000 meters (500 pull--I added paddles to this, and 500 swim). 50 warm down. I thought this was too little swimming so I added an additional 250 meters of kicking.

The pool director talked to me about my stroke. You can never get enough advice on your stroke, at least that is what I think. She mentioned that my skills and form are really great but I need to pull sooner. I'll do anything to get more speed so I'm going to work on that concept a bit. It seems the more coaching you subscribe to the more coaching you get from everyone. As somone new to swimming I do not mind.

Back home I jumped on the bike--on the sun porch with my trainer. 90 minute spinerval DVD. I was surprised how much of this effort was zone 3 and I punched into zone 4 a few times. Pretty tiring. Off the bike, I headed out for a 30-minute run. I think it was supposed to be zone 2 but it was primarily zone 3. This had little to do with my effort, in my view, and mostly to do with a long workout. Trifecta Saturday is done.

Up tomorrow, the final day in my recovery week, a 60 minute run.