Saturday, March 10, 2007

Today's Workout

Take my pulse, I think I'm dead. Up at 6:20 am, yep slept in.

Normally on Saturdays I swim first thing but the pool is limiting on Saturdays. It is hard to squeeze in 60 minutes and impossible to go beyond that as I will have to in the coming weeks. So, I opted to bike and run today and move my swim to tomorrow.

On the bike for 2.5 hours. Today will be warm enough to ride outdoors but the morning temperature is 33 degrees and I can't wait around for the sun to do its thing. Back to the trainer and a spinerval DVD, not quite the same as being outside. This was mostly a zone 2 workout with a few jumps to zone 3 but not many.

After the bike, I headed outside for a 90 minute run. From a strategy standpoint you should never go big bike, big run workout back to back. Sometimes I do this when I have to work around other life priorities but it should never be done in any consistent manner. I felt crappy almost immediately on the run, then my heart rate monitor stopped working, my legs hurt because I have too much mileage on my shoes, and I was tired. It was not a good run. Again, predominately zone 2 which was not necessarily my goal.

Off to the bike shop to get some hill gearing then to the running store for new shoes.