Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Today's Workout

It was a doozy. Up at 4:20 AM but in hindsight I could have made use of an additional 5 minutes.

Abs (390 crunches, 200 situps). On the bike for my first non-spinerval ride on the trainer. It was just me motivating me for 60 minutes. 10 minute zone 2 warmup, 10 x 1 minute one legged drills (I love these), 4 x 8 minutes zone 3 with 2 minutes of zone 2 in between sets. The biggest challenge: seeing my watch to monitor time and heart rate. I need a watch the size of a saucer for these old eyes.

Immediately following my spin, I changed into my running gear and headed out for a 45 minute run. This was supposed to be a 10 minute zone 2 warmup followed by 5 x 5 minute zone 3 with 2 minutes of zone 2 rest in between. Unfortunately it was mostly zone 3 because I could not get my heart rate to lower to zone 2. I live in a hilly neighborhood so the only time I could make my heart rate dip was on the downhill and there isn't much of it in my run.

I feel refreshed. Good bike and run today, I hardly felt the chill of our 26 degree air albeit now I could curl up in my flannel sheets for a nap.....but alas I must bring home the tofu to support my expensive hobby. Off to work I go.