Thursday, March 08, 2007

Today's Workout

Today sucked. My watch alarm went off at 4:20 even though it was not "on". My real alarm went off at 4:38 AM--can 18 minutes make that much difference? Yes, at least mentally.

Abs (390 crunches, 200 situps), a tiny bit of upper body weights. It was 18 degrees today so I lost more time scraping the car translating into less time in the gym pre-swim. Did I mention that I'm tired of winter.

If it's Thursday it must mean an anaerobic endurance effort in the pool, my least favorite workout. Today would be no exception. 2,650 meters (300 swim warmup, 6 x 75 (50 drill, 25 swim), 3 x 100 (each set faster then the last), 20 x 25 (3 fast, 1 easy), 2 x 400 (first 400 pull using a new breathing pattern--swim 5 strokes, breathe, swim 2 strokes, breathe--I did panic a bit), 100 cool down. Today was one of those days where I left the pool thinking I can't swim--especially 2.4 miles. One of my fellow triathletes mentioned that I was crossing my arms. An old habit and one that when I get tired I slip right into. I appreciated her scrutiny of my stroke and must remember to pay attention to mechanics most especially when I am tired.

My next swim day is Saturday, gee I can't wait.