Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You know what happens when you spend in excess of 3 weeks in temperatures below freezing? When it hits 39 you feel like wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Today, I hit the road for a run--gladly shedding the treadmill which I have been trapped on for a few weeks. We still have a bit of ice but the roads have cleaned up nicely. This doesn't mean that I did not slip on my run, of course that happened in the first minute. I'm still unclear how that rapid contortionistic movement I endured to maintain my balance did not result in my throwing my back out. Nonetheless, I was determined to enjoy the balmy temperatures and breathe in the fresh city air.

I remember in my youth how warm the first above freezing day felt. It was always uplifting to ones winter-weathered spirit and it conjured up thoughts of swimming in lakes and picnics in the park. Today, I find hope that spring is just around the corner. The birds were chirping, the air smelled fresh, the sunrise was so welcoming, and yes, oh yes, it was warm......ahhhhhhhhhhhh.