Friday, August 28, 2009

Still waiting for the miracle

The professional read of my MRI shows lots of swelling around the IT Band and oddly, on the opposite side of my knee, a nearly complete tear of the medial meniscus and chondromalacia. The left side injury has caused me no pain or swelling. It's one of those things where you hear a diagnosis that makes no sense with your experience and you doubt the accuracy of modern science. The good news, I suppose, is that the injury causing me grief--IT Band--will eventually heal. And so I wait, patiently or not so patiently, for the miracle that allows me to return to running.

Meanwhile, I'm tired of being called weak hips. In addition to my Myrtl Girdle hip exercises which I continue to do religiously (except when interrupted by a dog v cat fight) I'm thinking of purchasing a slide board, you know, fake indoor skating. I cannot accept the term "weak" being associated with me, hips or otherwise. If the latest scientific studies are true and hip weakness is the cause of many knee problems I'll be the lab rabbit to affirm or dispute them.

Hoping beyond hope for a little brick run tomorrow. Something longer than a mile.