Wednesday, August 05, 2009

New Theory

As I was rifling through my drawer to find my cho-pat knee support the other day--a last ditch effort in addition to the IT Band strap to save my ability to run--I was thinking when I had last used it. Last Thanksgiving I ran a 5 mile turkey trot and subsequent to the race I developed knee pain. In retrospect, I'm thinking this was an IT problem as well but I can't remember which leg it was. For the next 5 months, I ran using the cho-pat because it seemed to hold the tendon from snapping across my bone. Yes, it sounds all too familiar.

What I'm coming to realize is that I have more running injuries then I would like to admit. I came across an article recently on barefoot running. The article lead me to a website and soon I had spiraled out on to list servs where converts confessed how barefoot running has eliminated all of their running injuries. You might think that I would be an easy sell to any snake oil salesperson promising a cure to all that stands in the way of my current problems and running. True, but you do have to demonstrate the benefits scientifically before I'm willing to buy in. I think the barefoot running idea has sound scientific merit. Maybe, just maybe, the expensive running shoes and custom orthotics are the root of all evil. Think about it, I'm not a heal striker and the build of the shoe and assistance of the orthotic only come in to play when you strike your heal on the ground.

I'm in. I can't quite jump in barefoot if you will for three primary reasons: 1. I live in a city and we all know there are things on the ground you don't want to make skin contact with; 2. the winters can be a little cold and the gym probably would not allow barefoot running on the dreadmill; and 3. I fancy the fact that after all of these years of running I have no calluses and baby soft skin on my feet. Luckily, there are some options and one that I'm jumping on board with. Never let it be said that I'm afraid to wear ugly shoes. Enter vibram five fingers the close to nothing barefoot option. Thanks Mom for my shoes as a kid which we all know I was incessantly mocked for. My youth has given me the steely chutzpah to sport my own vibram five fingers.