Friday, July 31, 2009

Sometimes people die

So a lot of folks are shocked when they hear about triathletes taken out of a race by trauma--wind blowing cyclists off their bike, wheels clipping each other, broken noses in the swim, allergic reactions to jellyfish, etc. The wide-eyed reaction seems out of place because as a triathlete you know these things happen--broken bones, road rash and yes, occasionally death. After each race, and particularly one where there was a lot of traumatic injuries--say LP Ironman--I'm grateful for not only finishing but finishing safely. If it is my fate to segue to the pearly gates during a triathlon I can't think of a better way to go. I would definitely have a smile on my face. My plan, however, is to force the sports world to embrace octogenarian age group racers...maybe then I can also win my age group.