Friday, July 18, 2008

Oh my, was that thunder

I donned the wetsuit and gleefully entered Mirror Lake this evening around 5 PM. Unlike last year at this time, the water was exceedingly pleasant in temperature and if anything I was too hot in my long sleeve wetsuit.

Unusually, the buoys were already on the course. I put my head down and started swimming, catching the line and then continually running up underneath the giant buoys. JB stayed on shore as I planned to do one lap at my pace and another at hers. I was bored, and lonely, and then it got dark and I heard thunder and the water took on an ominous look. Naturally, this peaked when I was at the turnaround over a half mile from where I entered the water. I thought briefly about swimming to the shoreline and walking back through town to where JB was waiting--much as I also thought several times about turning around and having her just join me. I knew when I hit the beach that I could not do another full lap. The long sleeve suit tires me, I was overheated and my nutrition was poor on the day. Needless to say, I did promise I would take her out.

JB and I entered the water. She wanted to enter from the shore but I insisted she start under the flags to get the real feel for the course. I had her swim on my feet to experience drafting and then brought her to the rowing line which follows the entire course at Mirror Lake. You never have to spot, thus the reason I was running up under the buoys. All you need to do is follow the rope line (what everyone aims for on race day--a physical beating not for the weak at mind or body). JB was tired of waiting for me and did not want to swim too far so we maybe got in 500 meters or so before calling it quits on the day.

What a great swim but I do wish I could have done two laps. Ahhh, I'll save the desire for next year. Tomorrow, we are going to do one loop on the bike course--I cannot wait.