Saturday, July 19, 2008

Are we done with the hills?

I wanted to get out on the bike course early before the traffic picked up but it took us awhile to get out the door. It was an Adirondack day, a patchy sky that promised to rain on us but it was warm. I started with my arm warmers thinking I would need them for the 5 mile descent into Keene but I quickly abandoned them because I was overheated.

On the road out to the descent there are a few little hills, nothing horrible just enough to remind you where you are. I stopped for JB at the crest of each hill. As she crested the top she would ask, "is this where the downhill starts". The descent was nerve-wracking. Mix speed with potholes and some technical turns and the level of fear amps up. I was definitely feathering the brakes. From Keene we turned left and rode through Jay and Upper Jay--everyone's favorite part. We were easily moving at 20 mph through there with ample shoulders and smooth road. Then there is the turn at the church and a nice multi-mile climb. It's slow and steady but you just have to put your head down knowing there is a descent on the other side. Eventually we got to Hazelton Rd. or what we fondly call the finger. Why the finger? It's a road of rollers that seem innocent but can wear you down (aka it gives you the finger).

JB passed me on the finger. I know the course well, you cannot hit the gas through this section because it has an accumulative effect on what some deem the hardest part of the course, Route 73. Out of the finger we stopped at a gas station to get something to drink. There we were accosted by an obnoxious driver who refused to give us the right of way. I did have to yell at her and I felt bad for doing so but she was so in the wrong and clearly not a part of the supportive Lake Placid community.

As we left the gas station, JB asked, "Are we done with the hills"? I cannot tell a lie, I said no. JB said something about me not being supportive and may have loudly cursed at me. As we made the turn onto Route 73 we were hit with a 20 mph wind. That section (and the downhill descent) are subject to horrible winds. I knew this did not bode well for JB. There were two cyclists in front of me doing the granny march up some little rollers. I passed them but then I didn't see JB. She was eking out 7 mph and we had not gotten to the hills. Out of gas, we called back to the condo and got JB a ride back in. I rode the rest of the way solo which meant I could hit the gas on the hills.

What a beautiful course, so stunning, such a killer to your body. To all of those racers who were out on the course with me the day before the race I say, "what the heck were you thinking". I enjoyed the company but question your sanity for shredding your legs pre-race. Rest, rest, rest.