Sunday, May 18, 2008

Columbia Triathlon-International

1.5 k swim, 41 k bike, 10k run.

First the swim. I was in wave 3. Traditionally, they put the old ladies last but this race director likes to put them up front and then give all of us oldies 20 minutes before the next wave goes off. I have to say I love it. No time for sitting around watching the other heats. The pros go, the elite goes and then we were in the freezing cold water.

First go with the new wetsuit. It was so incredibly warm. My hands and feet were freezing but everything else was toasty (two swim caps on my head helped). The swim was a little shocking, a little physical for the first half but overall pretty good. No current or chop to deal with. I was fairly direct on the buoys early, or so I thought but after making the clubhouse turn I was a bit wide. How wide? Well, I hit a tree that was half-immersed in the water and half on the shore. Ok, kind of wide. I was pleased to get out in 30 minutes, a PR at that distance and imagine how much better my time would have been if I could just directly hit the buoys.

Up the hill to transition, up the hill on the bike on to the course. I love hills and the uphills of this course were meant for me. I was passing people like there was no tomorrow. The downside--I hate going downhill so I lost 10 spots in my age group just on that. It's irritating because I know this is completely mental.

Back in for the run, I heard over the loudspeaker that my coach had crossed the line at 2:19--pretty sweet for her as she is having an amazing year. The run is ridiculously hilly. I like hills, even when I run but even I have to say it was unnecessarily hilly. This wore on my buttocks injury and my foot. Needless to say, it was a very slow run for me.

All in all, I crossed the line at 3:14. Not the greatest, could have been worse. A good day's work marked by my exhaustion. Admittedly, while I love to compete at the half-Ironman, the International distance is sweet for its brevity. Mixing it in every now and again is like having a good dessert.