Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Back to the basics

I'm always training for my next race (May 2008) but this time of the year I'm training on technique beginning with the swim.

Every Thursday evening , I'm driving 45 minutes to an 8:30 pm swim class taught by my coach. The pool temperature and air temperature are exceptionally cold--wetsuit cold, but of course I don't want to look any more foolish then my skills already convey. I know through Shandra I will take my swimming to the next level. I have to, I cannot embarass myself in front of my coach. Already I have nailed weakside breathing and I'm learning flip turns--something I swore I would never do. Why? It isn't like there are walls in a lake or ocean.

I'm also working on my biking. Cadence, cadence, cadence. How high can I take my heart rate? I have to say I get a little dizzy in high zone 4. I'm also working on flattening my back more in aero. I much prefer being out on the open road but the last two weeks it has been all trainer time. Trust me, moving nowhere in three hours at a high cadence is not that exciting. I yearn for road time.

Notice I have not mentioned running. Aside from my chronic plantar fascitis and sciatica, I now have some issue with my left calf which has prohibited me from running one step since Thanksgiving. I live for the run so you know this is killing me. I'm back to ART and I hope to get on the road soon--at least a few solid, long runs before I have one of two procedures for my foot.

Healing and basics, tis the season.