Saturday, March 24, 2007

Today's Workout

Call it a mini tri. Up at 6:10 AM and off to the gym for a swim. The lifeguard did not show up until 7:15, irritating. Swim classes start at 8 so the window of opportunity for lap swimming was cut short by the tardiness of the lifeguard. However, I am in good with the lifeguard staff so they let me linger while they started their swim classes.

300 meter warmup. 4 x 100 (50 drill, 50 swim) 3 X 500 (split between swimming and pulling). I ended up 550 meters short of my plan but I was able to spend 55 minutes in the water. I was definitely tired when I left.

Back home to pack my biking and running gear. I was heading to MD to ride with a bike club there. Something told me to call first. It's overcast and drizzly today, apparently that is a problem for the for the ride leader--ride cancelled. I had no alternative but to head out by myself on my old faithful, the W & OD trail. Fairly flat, usually really busy with speed demons, folks who have never been on a bike before, and wandering runners or skaters. Today, thanks to the weather, it was nice and quiet.

I was supposed to ride for 150 minutes. I went over by 20 minutes but not intentionally. The ride was great. Not as high cadence as I would have liked given the rain but I was focusing on stretching out while in aero. I can be to hunched up which puts stress on my neck and shoulders. If I stretch out, it is much more relaxing.

At the conclusion of my ride I went for an immediate run--15 minutes worth. That seems so minimal but trust that my legs were dead and my feet frozen. I am so glad the run was brief.

Next up, a long run romorrow (and maybe I'll sneak out on my bike briefly).