Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Today's Workout

Up at 4:15 AM which would not have been too bad if I had slept well. I have this middle of the night sneezing disorder which I attribute to swimming as it only happens on my swimming day. If I sneeze, and trust that I work hard to avoid it, I will be up for the next hour blowing my nose. That was what happened at 1 AM so I'm a bit short on sleep today.

Anyhow, abs (390 crunches) 200 situps and then on the bike for an hour. 10 minutes warm-up, 10 x 1 minute one legged drills to jump start the heart, then 10 x 3 minutes at a cadence of 90 in zone 3 with one minute rest in between each. Trust me when I say the zone 3 part is no problem, I was fairly high in zone 3 today knocking on the door of zone 4.

After a quick change (always there are opportunities to practice transition) a 45 minute run. This was supposed to be 10 minute warm up then 4 x 5 minutes in zone 3 with a one minute zone 2 rest. I had a little trouble getting started. The legs were dead....really, huge redwood tree trunks. I thought I would not make it out of zone 2, however, thanks to the revved up heart rate from the bike and the hills in the 'hood I probably was a bit too much in zone 3. This is not over-achieving, it is just plain not good. Too much zone 3 training does not equate into race speed.

Next up, swimming with the Masters program tomorrow for the first time.