Monday, December 18, 2006

Where is she?

Hunting season started at the end of September...that is hunting for a new bike. I love my current bike but my high mileage has turned it into a "Dunlap", done all she could and lapped to the side. My bike is probably a hair too big for my upper body to comfortably come over the top tube. The more I learn about new bikes, the more I am certain that my current bike's misfit was largely responsible for my hip problems.

Bikes come in all shapes and sizes and my knowledge about components and mechanics definitely makes me a nerd. I embrace that. I have been on many a test ride waiting for a bike to scream out "You found me". What do I need? It has to be incredibly stable up front--my current bike and I have had some very unstable moments. It must be so comfortable after 6 hours of riding that it makes me feel like running 26 miles. Lastly, as I'm running it would be great if I didn't feel like my buttocks was still on the seat. I'd be remiss if I didn't say that it also has to fit in my budget.

I think my current bike has caught on to my hunt. It is shifting shamelessly without my touching the gear shift and my hip is hurting more. I hope she holds out and, more importantly, I hope my new bike reveals herself to me soon.