Sunday, November 05, 2006

I've seen winter and she isn't pretty

This weekend I traveled within a spit's distance of the Canadian border. This is where my peeps are from, the cold north country.

Saturday morning I woke at 5:45 am to head out for my long run....dread was in the air. I was not ready for the cold air and lacked confidence that I remembered how to dress for it. It worked out wonderfully. While I had agnst over potential snow predicted the evening before, none fell and the temperature was a very mild 30 degrees. Yes, 30 is mild in the north country. I was comfortable in my layers and pleased to know that I have room to add another layer or two when even crisper temperatures are upon us.

On the drive north, the foliage quickly went from peak in Washington, DC to the barren, cold, lifeless trees of PA and NY. Still further north, the lake effect snow was having it's way from Parish, NY through Pulaski where 6 inches of new snow had fallen. Beautiful, yes but can we fast forward to spring?

I've seen winter and she isn't pretty.