Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A short season


I'm reminded as Thanksgiving approaches of our youthful gatherings. On my mother's side, we would get together with all of her siblings and their families. Imagine 14 energetic kids and 7 adults traveling between houses in chilly upstate NY each Thanksgiving.

I really enjoyed our Thanksgiving gatherings and it had little to do with the food. I had a great deal of fun with my cousins. There were board games, usually a football game, occasionally when weather permitted a snowball fight, and a great deal of laughter. Always there was yatzee. My grandmother would late in the day drink a shot of Irish whiskey usually while playing cards or yatzee and from then on she would just laugh and laugh.

My cousin Leo recently passed away after a long, valiant battle with cancer. He was entirely too young to go, just a few days over 45 years old. I really didn't know Leo as an adult but I remember him fondly from our youth. He was skinny and tall, and always witty. He was fairly quiet but when he had something to say it was typically funny. I enjoyed his company. I regret that I didn't get to know him as an adult. As I learned at his services we had a lot in common. He loved the outdoors, hiking and biking, and was renowned for his comfort food, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

I know Leo's family will miss him dearly. It is difficult to see your son and brother pass at the prime of his life and this difficulty is complicated by the relief felt because his suffering has ended. I know I will find motivation in Leo's fight and I will think of Leo at Thanksgiving, and when I'm hiking and biking or eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. His season was short but one to fondly remember.