Wednesday, November 15, 2006

No wonder

I'm in the process of digitizing hundreds of slides. These are photos of my family primarily from the 60's. The process is slow and tedious but just when I start to get grumpy about it up pops an image that makes me laugh out loud.

These photos tell a story which I have long forgotten. Many of them involve some type of athletic event. There are lots of photos of us swimming in what looks like superfund sites, lots of baseball games where I'm wearing a dress, volleyball, football, golf--it's quite amazing. We were active as kids but I don't really remember sport being a focal point until I was in high school. So looking back has made me realize where that passion for triathlon came from. While I'm fairly certain that my parents motive for putting a ball in our hand was more to get us out of their hair then to teach us good physical fitness habits, I'm really grateful it was a ball and not the tv remote (of course, we didn't have a remote back then but you catch my drift).