Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Hats off...or on to my friends from MN

I travel a lot for work and while that can get tiring there still is a sense of awe at discovering a new city. Earlier this spring I was in Minneapolis. I remember as we were landing looking at all of those lakes and thinking this is a great tri-city. I had a great run, a great meal, and the weather was perfect--all of which adds up to a wonderful experience.

This week, I headed back to Minneapolis. The weather was quite different, beautiful but exceptionally crisp--the locals call it balmy. The high was 42 the low was 26. I was searching for my gloves and mapping out the skywalks (for those who don't know the entire city is inter-connected by a series of skywalks so you do not have to go outside in inclement weather). As I looked outside, I was stunned to see Minnesotans running and biking.

Now, I am undeterred in winter weather mostly because I hate the treadmill. I know how to layer and I've run with minus 10 windchills. I'm certain Minnesotans do this too, only under much more extreme circumstances. So, to my friends to the north hats off to your serious fortitude.