Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Daylight savings...

What a bad idea this was. For those who don't know, daylight savings has been extended by Congress. As originally conceived it is a failed energy policy and yet Congress lengthened daylight savings adding a few more weeks. Did anyone really ask for this...I doubt it.

Toil we must to get through these next several months when the only view of the sun is practically limited to your afternoon walk. I like the dark but not a lot of it. I like 8-10 hours of it to aid my sleep. I don't object to running in the dark, I find it calming, knowing the sun will inevitably rise fills me with hope. I hate leaving work in the pitch black, everyone looks so different, so hurried. Once I was in Alaska for the summer white nights. At midnight the sun illuminates your surroundings. I remember seeing some folks leave a bar inebriated and at the time I found it very strange until it occurred to me, "these are night people in the daylight."

I find this time of year to be similar, we are day people in the moonlight. Here is hoping the winter solstice comes on us quickly and gives us back a minute or two of daylight each day.