Saturday, December 02, 2006

Pushing through

I think the sport of triathlon is all about pushing through. It takes a lot to put in all of the prepartation time, enduring long workouts when your hot or tired, working around injuries, working through pain or nausea during a race, and oh yes, quieting those mental voices that want you to quit.

Today I'm suffering through a cold which I know will get worse before it gets better. With that in mind, I pushed through my workout--2 hours on the bike and an hour run. Now I just want to lay in bed the remainder of the day.

I'm hoping my body will let me know when pushing through is not a great idea. I try to listen to the messages it sends me but I also hate failure. I've yet to post a DNF but I know there is one out there for everyone, I hate missing workouts so I rarely do no matter how sick or sore I am. The thought of failure motivates me.

The voices in my head are loud today, "REST, REST" but I just thought of small benchmarks in my workout to quiet them and push through.