Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Bikram Yoga

With encouragement from my massage therapist, I took a Bikram Yoga class this week. I was confused, I didn't think this was the hot yoga. What's hot yoga--yoga conducted in a room that is heated to 113 degrees. To be fair, this might be a slight exaggeration of the temperature but it certainly felt like 113 degrees to this heat-intolerant cold weather gal.

I'm interested in yoga for two reasons: one, to help with my flexibility and stretching, and two, to help improve my balance by working on my core. It was an incredibly arduous class but I think I did most of the poses correctly--note I didn't say most flexibly. Still, I was grateful for a man in the class that was having more difficulty then me. No offense man in blue shorts, but you gave me confidence and made me feel good about myself. I think he was there in the company of his wife, I'd be surprised if he came back next week.

During the class, I was willing the clock to move. Apparently I have no telepathy skills. It was an hour and a half of intense exercise and I was sweating profusely. In fact, before we hit the first pose sweat was pouring off of my elbows. For the next several days my back was killing me. Will I go back? Probably, it will be good for me in the off season. Would I recommend it to my friends, well....maybe those that were deserving of such an extreme workout.